The story of Tapton Hall has been woven into the history of Sheffield since the eighteenth century. Originally built as Tapton House in the seventeenth century it was then home to the Shore family. Regular visitors included Florence Nightingale who would often come to the house to see her great aunt Mary Shore.
Steel master Edward Vickers, a name synonymous with the industrial pre-eminence of Sheffield in the Victorian era, built the present hall on the site of Tapton House in 1855. In 1867 it became the home of George Wilson of the snuff-making family.
For three centuries this great house has been an integral part of the Sheffield landscape. Its distinguished history has seen it serve as a home to great names and a witness to great events. In the early 1960s the Sheffield Masonic Hall Company was required to relocate as its premises in Surrey Street (opposite the Central Library) in the city centre was required for redevelopment
In 1964 the Company acquired Tapton Hall and embarked on a major but sympathetic restoration of the hall and in the process added the architect-designed extension that greets visitors today.
Today, Tapton Hall is the ‘home’ of twenty-six Craft lodges, thirteen Royal Arch Chapters, six Mark Master Mason Lodges who come within the jurisdiction of the Province of Yorkshire, West Riding as well as eight other Orders of Freemasonry and the Sheffield Masonic Study Circle.