After the dissolution of the monasteries, Hodroyd Hall was owned by Sir Thomas Gargrave of Nostell Priory and stayed in the Gargrave family until it was acquired by Dr. Richard Berrie in 1623. Dr. Berrie subsequently married Prudence Gargrave, the great granddaughter of Sir Thomas and it is his coat of arms impaled with hers which adorn the rear of the house. Their marriage was childless but Richard Berrie had an illegitimate daughter Mary, who married a Marmaduke Monckton who changed his name to Marmaduke Berrie on the instruction of Richard Berrie enabling Marmaduke to inherit Hodroyd Hall in 1688.
In 1725, the house was owned by John Monckton, who in that year was created Viscount Galway and it is the coat of arms of the Monckton family that is seen at the front of the house. Over the years the Monckton family spent more time at their grander country seat of Serlby Hall in Nottinghamshire and eventually sold Hodroyd Hall and the adjoining estates in 1911. In the 20th century, the house was used as a military hospital and a convent before being sold to the National Coal Board.